How does it work?
Step 1: Text the word "temple" to 72727
Step 2: Follow the texting prompts to enter the exact time of day you are most likely to complete a 10 second scorecard. You're in!
You will now receive a daily text at the time of your choosing with a specific link to your daily scorecard. Every link you receive is unique to you, is different every day and is only valid for 24 hours. Click the link to open the web browser on your phone and complete your scorecard every day to assess your behavior for the previous day.
All phone numbers are encrypted in our system and we don't ask for any other personally-identifiable information. There is no app to install from the app store because the app uses the native web browser pre-installed on your phone. You don't even need to login - your unique link IS your login code.
What is Temple Guard?
Temple Guard is a brand new application designed by King David's Rock to help men build virtues that counterbalance life in a sexualized culture.
- Uses daily metrics to shape behavior
- Is a platform for men to engage their will
- Designed to build spiritual muscle
- Replaces vice with virtue
On the first page of the app, users will see the "Holiness Target", with the center focused on Jesus Christ. This serves as a daily reminder that our eyes must always be on Jesus and rely on His saving grace to free ourselves from vice, especially internet pornography
Our sight, our aim, our target, our goal - is always Christ - and our behavior should flow from that.
Clicking on the concentric rings of the shooting target records how close your behavior came to avoiding lust yesterday and becoming more like Christ. The different rings of the target represent the following:
White: Eyes of Christ
- You are certain you had no lustful thoughts or behavior yesterday.
- You practiced every one of the daily defenses (second screen, shown in the next section below).
Grey: No Recollection of Lust
- A regular "good day".
- You are certain you had no lustful behavior yesterday but you cannot recall if you had any lustful thoughts.
- You did not practice every single daily defense.
Blue: Internal Lust
- You had lustful thoughts of some kind, not visible to another person.
- May include lustful thoughts such as memories, fantasies or a "mental movie player" of porn/lust you have had in the past.
The basis of this ring is Matthew 5:28: "Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (NIV)
Yellow: External Lust
- Lustful behavior that would be visible to another person if anyone happened to be present.
- Any behavior that could result in the loss of a witness.
- Obvious examples include viewing porn and masturbation, but could also include doing a double-take of an woman, obvious objectifying of women, flirting, downblouse / upskirt, "dressing down" with your eyes, luring at jogger,s sexual jokes with the opposite sex, etc.
Red: Physical Lust
- Lustful behavior that involves another person outside of sacramental marriage.
- Examples include pre-marital sex, adultery, heavy petting, sex without love, objectifying wives, having your wife watch porn with you.
Black: Illegal Lust
- Lust outside of God's law and outside the law of man
- Examples include perversions, massage parlors, Tinder, child pornography, sex tourism.
Daily Reinforcement of Spiritual Disciplines
The second page of the app records 10 daily disciplines that wants, pastors, and therapists all concur are essential to building virtue. These are essential spiritual disciplines and behavioral practices that serve as critical weapons in the fight against disordered attachments involving lust.
#1 I began my day with prayer
- Performed first thing in the morning.
- Preferably coupled with daily defense #2 - meditating on God's Word.
- Consciously making the effort to listen to God (not just blind prayer by rote).
- Inviting the Holy Spirit to guide and protect your thoughts for the day.
- Daily surrender of your soul to Jesus' leadership, including confessing of sins and forgiving others.
- Can be done out loud or silent, as long as purposefully removing distractions and fully concentrating on talking with God.
#2 Meditating on God's Word
- Preferably utilizing a daily reading plan
- Journal & reflect how the scripture applies to your life (not just speed reading or scanning, just to "check the box")
- Open the conduit - intentionally stop and LISTEN to what God could be speaking to you about today
- Establish a physical location in your home (War Room movie)
#3 Connect with another person
- In person or via a phone call (texts and emails do not count)
- Isolation is the petri dish for porn addiction
- Ask for / give / take / share - Make an effort to go beyond trivial small talk and talk about deeper things, connect on a deeper level.
- Preferrably done with a fellow believer
#4 No access to unmonitored devices
- Ensure Internet filtering or corporate monitoring programs are in place on every device you access during the day.
- Be especially vigilant to lock down access even on fringe devices, such as gaming devices (XBox, playstation, Wii, Gameboy, etc), Kindle Fire, burner phones.
- Pursuing music or media that weakens the temple or makes building virtue more difficult
- Music that celebrates or promotes objectifying women
- Intentionally pursuing TV/Movies with skin/sexual content
- You Tube/Vimeo/Video sites that invite temptation
#6 Limit the influence of alcohol
- Alcohol dramatically reduces inhibition & self-control.
- Alcohol makes some men feel sexy / frisky. When drinking and alone, it can be a dangerous cocktail of temptation for pornography.
- Set personal boundaries, e.g:
- No electronic devices (even monitored ones) after drinking alcohol.
- Never drink when you know you will be alone for a significant amount of time.
- Quit drinking altogether.
#7 Appreciation of God
- Appreciating God's beauty (sunrises, sunsets, nature).
- Journaling/thanking God for blessings (health, family, kids, specific answers to prayer).
- Random acts of kindness / compliments, done intentionally for God's glory.
- Practicing intentional silence in awe of God.
- Turning off phone/devices for a time to specifically concentrate on God.
#8 Physically active
- Prayer walk
- Yard work
- Working out
- Can be paired with an act of service / random act of kindness, such as helping someone move furniture, cut tree limbs, snow shovel driveway, etc.
- Can be excluded on Sabbath if rest is intentionally taken to honor God.
#9 Act of self-denial
- Any positive act you can practice that helps build your willpower.
- Can include many variants on daily fasting (e.g. food, soft drinks, alcohol, coffee, carbs, sugar, TV, Facebook, Internet, Netflix, etc)
- Best when combined with prayer: "Lord today I am going to skip lunch. Use my hunger to help temper my cravings to view pornography."
#10 Evening Prayer
- Specifically targeted towards praying for the women in your life, as a counter-measure to the mental objectification of women induced by porn.
- Can include:
- Prayer with or for your wife (if married).
- Prayer for the most important woman in your life (mother, sister).
- Prayer for women at your work.
- Prayer for women in the sex industry.
Week at a glance: Table view
The Week at a glance: Table view quickly reveals correlations between your behavior (entered via the bullseye target) and your daily disciplines, as the week progresses.
Data for previous weeks can easily be navigated through as time goes on.
Week at a glance: Chart view
The Week at a glance: Chart view provides an alternative view of your target-recorded behavior for the week in a clear visual format that may be shown to an accountability partner or a support group.
Bullseye versus Daily Defense: Line Chart
This format offers an easier way to identify trends in behavior over the long term, including timeline options for 1 month, 6 months and a full year.